- 8 ears corn (about 3 cups corn kernels)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups chopped tomatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 2 large poblano peppers, chopped
- 1 red jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat broiler. Husk and de-silk the corn. Brush the ears with olive oil and place on a rimmed cookie sheet.
- Place corn under broiler and roast the corn until the kernels darken, 3-5 minutes. Turn ears and repeat. If you prefer, the roasting can also be done outside on a grill. When the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cobs with a sharp knife.
- Combine the remaining salsa ingredients,except the cilantro, in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, until the liquid has reduced. Taste and adjust spices. Add the cilantro and simmer for another minute or two.
- Cool and ladle into airtight jars. Keep refrigerated for up to one week.
Makes 4-5 pint jars.