Fresh from the Catskills
What's Fresh Now: August
Sweet Corn: August and September mark corn season in the Catskills! Some facts about this versatile crop are:
- On average there are 800 kernels in an ear of corn
- One acre of land can produce up to 14,000 pounds of corn
- Corn will always have an even number of rows on each cob
- There are over 3,500 different uses for corn products
Canning: Have you ever wanted to try to do some of your own canning at home, but needed some guidance, or just looking to hone some of your canning techniques? Join Sullivan County Cornell Cooperative Extension in their Master Food Preserver 3 Day Training! They will be learning all about the scientific basis of food preservation while using methods recommended by the US Department of Agriculture. The dates for this training are August 7th, 8th and 9th from 8:30AM to 4:30 PM. The registration fee is $375.00 per person and includes instruction, a 265 page handbook, and lunch each day. Attendees will receive food samples prepared during the workshop. Partial scholarships are available. For more information, or to register click here!
Apple Picking: Need a fun family friendly activity? What better way to spend the day then apple picking in the Catskills! Starting mid-to-late August begins apple season. Take a trip to one of our Pure Catskills members to pick some of these sweet treats. Soons Orchards, Westwind Orchards, Prospect Hill Orchards, Hurd’s Family Farm and Middlefield Orchard.
Sausage: Looking for a tasty and simple recipe for your end of the summer barbeque or camping trip? Celebrate National Meat Month and try out this recipe for sausage, potato and green bean foil packets that we found on our Pinterest page! These would go great on the grill or in the campfire.
- 1 (12.8-ounce) package sausage thinly sliced. (Burn-Ayr Farm, Catskill Food Company, Horton Hill Farm, Stone and Thistle Farm, Buck Hill Farm)
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, quartered (Barbers Farm)
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed (Cold Spring Farm)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, halved (Catskill Fungi, Agrarian Feast)
- 1 onion, chopped (Berry Brook Farm)
- 4 tablespoons of butter, divided (Cowbella by Bovina Valley)
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided (Lumps Spice Company)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (Elderberry Herb Farm)
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill over high heat.
- Cut four sheets of foil, about 12-inches long. Divide sausage, potatoes, green beans, mushrooms and onion into 4 equal portions and add to the center of each foil in a single layer.
- Fold up all 4 sides of each foil packet. Add butter, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper, to taste; gently toss to combine. Fold the sides of the foil over the sausage, covering completely and sealing the packets closed.
- Place foil packets on the grill and cook until just cooked through, about 12-15 minutes.*
- Served immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
More scrumptious recipes await you on the Pure Catskills Recipe page!