What's Fresh Now: April
Eggs: With longer days and warmer nights headed our way it is an egg-laying hen's afternoon delight! Grab some farm fresh eggs from Abbas Acres, Applegarth Farm & Pottery, Black Willow Pond Farm, East Durham Farm, Glenanore Farm, Cooper’s Ark Farm, Horton Hill Farm, Foxtail Community Farm, RambleBramble Farm, Heather Ridge Farm, Butchie’s Organic Farm, and many more Pure Catskills members. Here’s a great recipe for your April happenings this month!
Deviled Egg Recipe:
-12 - Eggs – Hard boiled – (makes 24 deviled eggs)
-¼ cup – Mayonnaise
-1 tsp – Yellow mustard
-1 tsp – Horseradish
-1/8 tsp – Salt
-Paprika for garnish
- Place your eggs in a pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then cover, remove from the heat and set aside 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, cool in ice water bath.
- Crack egg shells and carefully peel under cool running water. Gently dry with paper towels.
- Slice the eggs in half lengthwise, removing yolks to a medium bowl, and placing the whites on a serving platter.
- Mash the yolks into a fine crumble using a fork. Add mayonnaise, horseradish, mustard, salt, and mix well with a fork.
- Evenly disperse heaping teaspoons of the yolk mixture into the egg whites. Sprinkle with paprika and serve.
Lamb: Spring is the time for lamb, and with Easter and Passover right around the corner. Get your local lamb from these Pure Catskills members for your family celebrations this month: Applegarth Farm & Pottery, The Green Shepherd Farm, LLC., Nectar Hills Farm, Black Willow Pond Farm, Hudson Valley Cattle Company / Nat Kagan Meat & Poultry, Inc. or Evans & Evans Farm.
Honey: Raw honey is one of the nature’s original liquid sweeteners, coming straight from the hive. What is the difference between raw honey and commercial honey? When you buy raw honey you are getting the honey in its purest form, which it is unheated and unprocessed. Commercial honey which is usually found in stores is heated, processed and filtered. When this happens you lose health benefits honey provides, some of which are: vitamins, nutrients, powerful antioxidants and immune booster. Get your local Catskills honey from one of our Pure Catskills members such as: Anderson’s Hillbilly Honey, Pure Mountain Honey, Chasing Honey Farm at Griffin Corners, 2 Queens Honey, The Rogers Ranch, Melissa Apiary LLC., and McCoy’s Pure Raw Honey.
Baked Goods: Who doesn’t love baked goods around the Easter? Our Pure Catskills Baked Goods producers are sure to bring sweetness and warmth to your kitchens:Del-Rose Farm/The Farmer's Wife, Rich-Nan Farm, Cow Tale Treats, Holiday Farm Biscuit Company, 221 Bakery.